No Right Click

Sunday 11 October 2015

The Magic of Mount Fuji


I'm only 5 feet tall but there I was, 12,000 feet high! Climbing Mount Fuji has been one of the most challenging, tiring and overly amazing things I've ever done in my life. It's definitely not an easy feat, but it was all worth it.

NOTE: This is going to be a long post. But... I have pictures and loads of information so I do hope you read on!

Prior to the hike, I was told that not everyone gets to reach the summit. One very big factor is the weather, which constantly changes since Mount Fuji is so high up; it usually rains, and if it pours, marshals would most likely advise all hikers to turn around and hurry back down for safety. Another factor is altitude sickness. The air becomes very thin as you ascend the mountain, so if you don't give your body enough time to acclimatize or go too fast without having enough breaks in between, you can get light-headed, dizzy and nauseous.

I constantly checked on the weather about a week or two before the climb. It consistently said it would rain and I got really worried, but we still pushed through anyway to try our luck. So this is how it looked like upon arriving at the 5th station at around 6pm...


Obviously, I got a teensy bit anxious about the hike, thinking it would be hard to see especially during the night time. But, again, we decided to still try it out. We were already there after all. We let our bodies acclimatize to higher ground level and thinner air then finally, our Fuji san adventure started at 9pm.

The trails varied as we ascended. Some were slopes (steep ones, too), some were stairs, and some were boulders that we literally had to climb. It was very challenging especially since it was already dark. It was also marvelously beautiful. By some stroke of luck, not a single drop of rain fell from the sky that night. Instead, there were shooting stars and a whole sky studded beautifully with twinkling diamonds. The moon was red and I could gaze at it without tilting my head up-- that's how high we already were.

We took frequent breaks to catch our breaths, drink up some water, use the toilet, maybe have some snacks and get some air from our oxygen tank. I was very paranoid about getting altitude sickness, so I also made sure I did some breathing exercises. At the same time, I was very hyper and energetic!

Some time around 4:30am, the sky started lighting up. We were about a kilometer away from the summit but already high above the clouds. It was so thrilling to see the sky change into different colors. At some point, it was a mix of orange, pink, blue and green! I kept hiking up as fast as my sore legs could take me. I wanted to be as high up as possible to see the actual sunrise. The air was so thin, but I didn't care. I constantly looked below me to marvel at the clouds.


I didn't reach the summit on time but it didn't matter. I found a very nice spot that wasn't too crowded. Then, I witnessed the most majestic sunrise in my life.


Meanwhile, my phone was also sitting on a rock and captured this on time lapse...

I was in so much awe. I know I'm tiny, but I felt even smaller. God is great, and I am so thankful to have had this opportunity to see His wonderful creation.

Since I had some time to stay still, I felt the exhaustion sinking in. I haven't had any sleep at this point and there were times when I'd feel breathless after taking just three steps! But I was close so I went on. There was a bit of traffic near the summit. People were actually lined up! I love how disciplined the Japanese are. Some of them went ballistic when someone broke the line to make his own path.
Around 6am, I finally FINALLY reached the top of Mt. Fuji! It was very busy with a lot of shops and there were loads of people, too. I wasn't able to go around the crater anymore. I know, what a bummer since I was already there. Honestly though, I was extremely satisfied by the view and the fact that I made it all the way!


The descent was also a challenge. We went through rocky, sandy slopes all the way down. My feet were so sore (especially since I haven't entirely broken in my new hiking shoes), my head was groggy, plus, it was really dusty! Thankfully, one of my friends had an extra mask. We tried very, very hard to go down as fast as we could. It took about 4 to 5 hours. When we reached the 5th station, our clothes and skin were all soiled up. But we definitely left Fuji with a happy heart.

As I highly recommend fellow adventurers to do this, here are some tips!
1. Do some training. Hike easier mountains, do cardio activities, lift some weights. This is not easy. I repeat, not easy! Your body has to be ready to take in all the physical activity.
2. Have enough sleep prior to the climb and drink your vitamins.
3. Monitor weather reports before finalizing your trip/ bus tickets. Also note that Mt. Fuji is open for hiking ONLY during the summer, so that's from July to September but it depends every year. You can check the official website for Mt. Fuji climbing just to be sure.
4. Acclimatize for at least an hour upon reaching the 5th station. I think the most ideal would be three hours. This is so your body could adjust since you're above ground level.
5. Prices for food and water get more expensive as you climb higher. I suggest that you bring your own food just to save up.
6. Like me, you may opt to buy an oxygen can just to make sure. You can buy one at the 5th station although it may be cheaper to buy somewhere else before your trip to Fuji.
7. Wear proper hiking shoes. Some trails get slippery.
8. Take some time to stretch before your hike.

And it's very important to pack right. You wouldn't want to bring too many things but you also don't want to miss out on the essentials. I bought a nice, big backpack from North Face to fit in all the things I needed. Here's a list of things that I recommend for the hike:
1. At least 2 litres of water
2. One energy drink for electrolytes
3. Little snacks like onigiri, crackers, and power bars
4. A lot of 100 yen coins (this is because you have to pay exactly 200 yen to be able to use the toilets)
5. An oxygen can (This is optional. I brought one just to make sure)
6. Powerbank (you wouldn't want your phone to die on you once the sun begins to rise, right?)
7. Plastic bags/zip lock bags to store all your trash as there are no bins on the mountain
8. Towel
9. Face mask to protect your nose and mouth from the dust
10. Emergency medicine
11. Headlight (that is, if you're hiking during the night) -- this is more convenient compared to a flashlight because you'll need your hands to guide you through the rocks as you climb
12. Tissue
13. Sunblock (since you're high up, the sun can damage your skin)
14. Extra clothes
15. Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, facial wash)
16. A windbreaker or a rainproof jacket just in case it rains. As I've mentioned, it also gets cold up there. Even if it's 37 °C in Tokyo, the temperature drops to around 5 °C at Fuji!
17. Gloves (the rocks can scratch you if you're not careful)

Note also that you don't have to climb up during the night time. Actually, some people don't recommend this. (I'm just crazy...) Another option would be to climb during the day, check in one of the inns on the mountain, and then wake up early for the sunrise. This may be a more expensive option though. There are also a number of trails to follow. These trails and loads of other information about the hike can be viewed in the official website I mentioned earlier. :)

Whew! This is the longest post I've had so far. I hope I was helpful with all the information and I also hope I didn't miss out on anything! This will be a good memo for me as well since I plan to climb again next year! Hopefully, I'll get lucky again and by that time, I'd be able to go around the crater!

No comments:

Post a Comment